Sunday, December 9, 2018

Thing 1: Getting Started

Howdy All!

I am creating and posting to my 2nd career blog! Back when blogging was all the rage back in 2005, I had a weblog about the musings and commentary of being a first year school librarian. It feels like an eternity ago, but as I look back, I can't help but reminisce how healthy it was for me to be actively reflecting on my practice during my first year of teaching.  I had no clue of what I was doing, but I had a lot of energy and was excited to be a part of the profession. If I could only go back and teach that 22 year old kid a thing or two!

My name is Justin Ashworth and this is my fourteenth year in school librarianship. This is my first year as a middle level librarian at Ray Middle School in Baldwinsville, NY. Prior to this new adventure, I spent thirteen years as librarian at McNamara Elementary School.

I am going through the growing pains of transitioning to a new level. I'll start off by acknowledging that I am basically a first year teacher all over again! The transition has been tough and I am learning all of the nuances of being a middle school librarian - completely different from the elementary level! The first 50 days have been eye-opening and taxing.....SO MUCH TO LEARN!! I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow!

I am motivated to take this class for a number of reasons. My primary reason is my shift to a new grade band. I realize that I need to begin examining the use of instructional technology in a middle level context. While I was fairly well versed at teaching with tech in the elementary level, the middle school level presents many new challenges. Another motivating factor is to prevent my practice from becoming stale. After fourteen years, I notice complacency setting in and I realize the best way to hedge against it, is to push myself to learn new tools & techniques and learn from my colleagues.

I am REALLY looking forward to what this class has to offer and for the activities to push my practice to a new level.  LET'S  GET STARTED!!


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the new position! That is just like being a first-year librarian again, but what fun to have a new challenge. Will look forward to hearing what tools you choose to play with and how it goes! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thing 10: Search Tools Ninja

Thing 10: Search Tools Ninja Welp, I made it to the finish line & my final module for this iteration of the Cool Tools for Schools Cou...